Eyes present very different challenges at mid-age. They become smaller and less “defined”. Too much “shadow” or wrong texture can draw attention to wrinkly or saggy areas. Aim for a clean, defined look.
- Apply an eye base under eye make-up: Apply eye cream and allow it to sink in, so your shadow has something to “cling” to; then put a bit of smudgy brown shadow on the lid with a light liner at the base of the lashes and mascara.
- Light-reflecting concealer for dark circles under eyes: Apply the concealer in the hollows under the eyes to brighten the area. Stroke the product as a triangle of lines, one under your eyes, then two slides sloping down to meet at a point on the eye-socket bone. Pat in lightly with a finger to cover the area.
- Puffiness: If you tend to have puffiness under your eyes, the first stroke an ice cube around your eyes area for a few minutes. Don’t draw too much attention to the under-eyes. A little mascara winged out, a fine line at the outer third of each eye and a pot of brightener under the eyes draw attention away from puffies.
- Hooded eyes: For a less pronounced case of drooping eyelids, use highlighter/ luminiser under the brow to ‘lift’ the eye, a very soft wash of taupe on the upper lid to mute it, mascara to define upper and lower lashes, fine eyeliner pushed into the lash-line along the lower.
- Define the shape differently: Over the tip, try a sheer wash of matt eyeshadow, in a neutral shade, then focus on mascara and eyeliner to frame the eyes. Try a sharpened eyeliner pencil or liquid product with an in-built fine brush in grey, deep brown, aubergine, or navy.
- Top with two coats of mascara: Apply a second coat before the first has dried to avoid clumping. Waterproof mascara avoids panda eyes, especially during hot flashes.
- Touch of highlighter on the brow bone: Dot on a touch of ivory or bone-colored shadow and if the skin is smooth, it can be subtly shimmering.
- Play down the brows for stronger shadow and eyeliner
Eye make-up is an issue where we can’t be psychic unless we have a friend who can make up your mind about what looks best, but you can definitely get a free make-up consultation in-store from most brands.
Some products to end your search in the market.
THE LIP BAR Eye Liner
NYX Professional Makeup RETRACTABLE EYE LINER
THE LIP BAR EYESHADOW PALETTE
THE LIP BAR LIQUID EYESHADOW
THE LIP BAR Quick Lid Liquid Eyeshadow Bundle
THE LIP BAR Lash Flash Strengthening Mascara