Although genetics mainly determine skin structure and texture, sun exposure is a major cause of wrinkles, especially for people with light skin. Pollutants and smoking also contribute to wrinkling.
Some important factors causing wrinkles are:
- Age: Fat in the deeper layers of your skin diminishes. This causes loose, saggy skin and more-pronounced lines and crevices.
- Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light: Exposure to UV light breaks down your skin's connective tissue — collagen and elastin fibers, which lie in the deeper layer of skin (dermis). Without the supportive connective tissue, your skin loses strength and flexibility. Skin then begins to sag and wrinkle prematurely.
- Smoking: Smoking can accelerate the normal aging process of your skin, contributing to wrinkles.
- Repeated facial expressions: Facial movements and expressions, such as squinting or smiling, lead to fine lines and wrinkles. Each time you use a facial muscle, a groove forms beneath the surface of the skin.
Neutrogena's "Ageless Intensives® Anti-Wrinkle Deep Wrinkle Night Moisturizer" helps to minimise the effect.
Diminish the look of wrinkles while you sleep. Our anti-wrinkle night moisturizer uncovers vibrant, younger-looking skin within two weeks of use.
Some numbers for the references:
- 100% had softer and smoother skin
- 94% saw a reduction in the look of fine lines
- 89% saw visible dark spots fade
- 73% saw a significantly reduced appearance of deep wrinkles